Just as there are levels of automobile repair — jiffy lube, tune-up, engine overhaul — there are degrees of editing as well. The type of editing you will need depends upon the status of your manuscript.
All Redpengirl editing adheres to standard editorial guidelines, accepted by traditional publishers as well as boutique, online/pay-as-you-go, and self-publishers.
A sample edit of one or two pages of client’s manuscript is provided free of charge without obligation.
Proofreading: $100 per 10,000 words
- corrects misspellings, punctuation, capitalization
- proper use of tenses, plurals, quotations
- proper use of abbreviations and acronyms, numbers, and symbols
- appendixes, chapter headings, table of contents in correct order
Copyediting (includes proofreading): $120 per 10,000 words
- corrects grammar, sentence structure, word choice/repetition
- transitions between sections, chapters, parts
Exhaustive Editing (includes proofreading and copyediting): $140 per 10,000 words
- resolves inconsistencies, ambiguities in story details
- revises awkward sentences, scenes
- chapter/manuscript organization
Formatting for submission to publishers: $100
- checks and corrects for proper and/or consistent font/typeface
- inserts appropriate line, page, and section breaks
- prepares manuscript for layout / paper or ebook formatting available
Query Letter / Synopsis: $100+
- review client-prepared material
- develop for client
*Manuscripts not in a WORD document may incur additional charges.
50% initial payment is required to begin editing project
50% final payment is due at completion of editing project
Payment accepted by check, money order or through Paypal